Saturday, August 7, 2010

Day 39

So, the sabbatical is on Day 39 and still going strong....

Am I ready to return to the States? Well, The Fringe has certainly kept my attention, but life calls and my partner and family are deep in my hearts.... Time to return to the States, but not yet time to leave the sabbatical.

I'm off to the Republic of Texas (the small country in the United States) to see my partner for a few days, then to Arizona to see my brother and his wife (and their three terrific dogs, Buddy, Katie and Jessie). So, another couple weeks to the sabbatical to round out two months of travel.

I just wonder if Scotland has taken hold of me. I'm starting to use the words "wee" and "grand" in sentences now. Love it. But, never say, "Let's stop for a wee little cup of tea." That is like saying a double negative in this nation - a true faux pas....

Fortunately, the local Scots have spoken very slowly for us Americans. The accent can be a bit hard to understand when they speak at normal cadence! But, we love them (and their tartan plaids said the preppy from New England) anyway....

Cheers, Scotland and thank you for a truly AMAZING visit. And, thank you to Ambassador Mark MacLeod for putting Scotland's best foot forward for us. A word to the curious traveler - skip London, Paris, Dublin, Nice, Cannes, St. Tropez, Provence, Prague and Monaco. Just come to Edinburgh - it is like butter, but better....

1 comment:

  1. I spent a semester in Stirling in college. I fell in love with Scotland then and went back several times before settling down. Craig and I went there on our honeymoon...but I haven't been back since. Guess I'll have to start planning that trip! Glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete