Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Fringe and Baby Wants Candy











Every year in August, the city of Edinburgh transforms into an international site of all things artistic... Where else could you meet a tuxedo-wearing goldfish (Jenny loved him), two red dress wearing jugglers on ladders (yes, the one on the left is a man), and a variety of other even stranger characters.




From sun-up past sundown each day for a month, Edinburgh is the stage for shows from cabaret to theater to improv - and even burlesque!


We saw the improv show "Baby Wants Candy" and I nearly wet myself several times during the show. Imagine a performance where the audience selects the title of the show (our selection was "Get Lost") and the five improv artists and their four-person band put together an improv musical for 90 minutes - on the spot, with dialogue, dancing and singing. True talent, folks. Really incredible and one of the funniest shows I have ever seen (courtesy of the Second City Improv Group in Chicago, where Tina Fey got her start). And yes, this big 40+ year old baby loved that candy - laughter for 90 minutes (I think I added a few years to my life).....

No comments:

Post a Comment