Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Sabbatical - Day Seven

Given that I am taking a mini "sabbatical" for six weeks, I thought it appropriate to purchase and rad the book, "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. For those who have not yet read it, essentially it is about a woman who takes a year off to eat in Italy, pray in India and love in Indonesia - and she writes about her year-long sabbatical (so far, I am only done with the Italy part). Poignant story for sure (and made number one on the NYT best seller's list).

Am I totally relaxed on Day Seven of the sabbatical? Nope. Still occasionally thinking about my former employer of 10 years and the people there that mean a lot to me. Do I want to go home yet? Nope. Still happy traveling - four (five if you count a two hour layover in Zurich) countries in seven days (Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland and the Czech Republic). I'm meeting interesting people - like Johannes who is a TV producer in Sweden and who first conceived of the show "Survivor" before it came to America to be taken over by Hollywood. And, the US Ambassador to Luxembourg Cynthia Stroum (amazing woman). And, John Seffrin, CEO of the American Cancer Society (whom I've met before, but got to know better on this trip).

As a natural (some may say "uber" extrovert) I not only enjoy meeting new people, but actually relish in doing so - hearing about their stories and experiences. So, one week into a six week sabbatical and I am still full of energy. Still wanting to meet everyone around me and learn about their stories....

1 comment:

  1. Love that book! I love meeting people from other places too and asking them tons of questions. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete