Friday, July 16, 2010

Winnie the Pooh


About 15 years ago, a good friend gave me the book, "The Tao of Pooh" written by Benjamin Hoff and published in 1982.


It is a very clever book that introduces the reader to the principles of Taosim (which is not really a religion, but rather a peaceful way of thinking about and living one's life). The book made an impact at the time - and I have been recommending it to people for years - a good and clever "read" that shows you that "Pooh just is" and all things "are as they should be right now...."


One of the first people to whom I recommended the book gave me a small Winnie the Pooh as a thank you gift - and as a reminder that sometimes we all just need to "be" and let things unfold as they should and not get so uptight or tense about life's small annoyances. Whenever we travel, we bring Pooh with us.


Yes, it is indeed a bit odd perhaps for two 40-something men to be carrying a small stuffed animal around with them (several tourists and airline hostesses over the years have commented as such, but we ignore them). Actually, it is a small and symbolic reminder that sometimes the world spins so fast and we just need to let it - and simply "just be" the way Pooh is.... We have made a tradition over the past 15 years of taking photos of Pooh around the world and I wanted to share a glimpse of Pooh in one of his photo ops....


PS - Yes, it's the same t-shirt I wore earlier and used in a post, but our house has a washing machine, so it was clean both times. I'm relaxed on vacation, but still have OCD, after all...




4 comments:

  1. I love it that you travel with Pooh! That is great. I love your shirt too. Where can I get one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shirts are made by a company called the Island Company:

    http://www.islandcompany.com/

    ReplyDelete