Thursday, July 22, 2010

True Colors


Sometimes, sabbaticals teach us how to put life into perspective and what is truly important. If the last two years of my life had failed to do that (which it did not), then the last 24 hours would have. For those reading this blog, call and email your family today - tell them you love them.
Yesterday, my big (and only) brother had to be rushed to the ICU to have a craniotomy in order to relieve fluid that has built up in his head and caused disorientation and confustion. Over two years ago, Doug was diagnosed with brain cancer and even though there is no tumor re-growth, the space in his brain where the tumor was plays havoc with fluids, which most of us never have to deal with....
Doug has been through so much and is fighting like a true gladiator. He's in the hospital now (but thanks to the air traffic controller's strike in France, I could not be there for the surgery) and recovering with his wife and twin sister....
When I saw this rose today, I thought of Doug. It represents beauty, strength, peace and life - all at the same time. Doug is all of those things.
Some lyrics from a song about "colors" (True Colors, by C. Lauper) came to mind, and also reminded me of Doug when I saw the rose, so I wanted to share the lyrics with whomever may be reading this blog....
You with the sad eyes
Don't be discouraged
Though I realize
It's hard to take courage
In a world full of people
You can lose sight of it all
When the darkness inside you makes you feel so small
But, I see your true colors shining through...
And that's why I love you.
Show me a smile
Don't be unhappy
If this world makes you crazy
And you've taken all you can, then
You call me - and you know I will be there....
Doug - you are loved. You are a rose. You will recover. Show your true colors and continue to fight like hell. People around the world are sending positive energy to you from every direction.
Cancer sucks. It will not win. You will win, my brother. You will win.

3 comments:

  1. A beautiful post. I'm crying at the lyrics and at your beautiful words. Thank you for reminding us what is important. He WILL recover- he is so courageous....

    ReplyDelete
  2. David not only is Doug in our thoughts every minute but you, Phil and the rest of your family are as well. You are an inspiration to us. You live your life authentically. I myself have always known you were special. All our positive energy is headed toward Doug and your entire family.

    Love,

    Erin and Rob Giese

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin - you are a kind soul (which I've always known). Thank you, cheers and much love to you, Rob, and your family.

    ReplyDelete